PUMA
Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie dell'Informazione     
Celandroni N., Conti M., Ferro E., Gregori E., Potort́ F. A bandwidth assignment algorithm on a satellite channel for VBR traffic. In: International Journal of Satellite Communications, vol. 15 pp. 237 - 246. Wiley, 1997.
 
 
Abstract
(English)
Variable bit rate (VBR) video is currently by far the most interesting and challenging real-time application. A VBR encoder attempts to keep the quality of video output constant and at the same time reduces bandwidth requirements, since only a minimum amount of information has to be transferred. On the other hand, as VBR video traffic is both highly variable and delay-sensitive, high-speed networks (e.g. ATM) are generally implemented by assigning peak rate bandwidths to VBR video applications. This approach may, however, be inefficient in a satellite network based on a TDMA scheme. To overcome this problem, we have designed a demand assignment satellite bandwidth allocation algorithm in TDMA, named V2L-DA (VBR 2-Level Demand Assignment), which manages the VBR video traffic according to a dynamic bandwidth allocation algorithm. In this paper we discuss how to tune the proposed algorithm in order to optimize network utilization when MPEG-I VBR video traffic is being transmitted. Our results indicate that most of the time only 40% of the peak rate bandwidth is needed to satisfy the VBR source, so the remaining 60% of the peak rate bandwidth can be used to transmit the datagram traffic queued in the network stations.
Subject Satellite
TDMA assignment
Real-time traffic
Non-real-time traffic
VBR traffic
MPEG coding


Icona documento 1) Download Document PDF


Icona documento Open access Icona documento Restricted Icona documento Private

 


Per ulteriori informazioni, contattare: Librarian http://puma.isti.cnr.it

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional